As part of the Swachhata Hi Seva campaign, launched by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, to make India free of single use plastic, CMAAO, Indian Medical Association and all its state branches, Heart Care Foundation of India and Padma Awardee Doctors’ Forum are organizing a plogging run on 2nd October on the theme “Plog 2 km on 2nd October, 2019”.
Plogging is a fitness movement, which first started in Sweden around 2016. It slowly picked up and spread to other countries in 2018, following increased concern about plastic pollution.
The word plogging originates from a Swedish term “plocka upp,” which literally means “to pick up”.
Plogging is a combination of jogging with picking up plastic litter and other waste. As a workout, it provides variation in body movements by adding bending, squatting, and stretching to the main action of running, hiking or walking. If you cannot jog, you can walk.
Plogging is not just about fitness, it is also about keeping your surroundings clean. In other words, plogging not only takes care of your health, it also keeps the environment healthy. Both are interdependent as described in the concept of “One Health”.
Plogging means Fit Asia, Fit India and Fit State. Plogging is better than walking as it involves intermittent stretching.
Plastic waste has a harmful effect on the health of human beings, animals and environment. According to the UN, about 300 million tonnes of plastic waste is produced every year; half of all plastic produced is designed to be used only once “single use plastic” and then thrown away.
It’s time we take urgent steps to check the rising plastic pollution; to stop its generation and to better manage plastic waste.
IMA is now promoting plogging through all its states and local branches to keep India Clean and Fit.
Doctors can plog with their patients on that day.
- Plog and click a picture and WhatsApp to 9999080900
- IMA (Dr Shantanu Sen and Dr RV Asokan) has sent an appeal to all IMA state and local branches to participate wholeheartedly in this campaign and organize this activity. Best state and local branch participation will be given honours and prizes by IMA.
- While plogging remember the correct posture: bend at the knees to pick up any plastic to prevent any back issues.
- There will be a special run by Sports Ministry of India starting at 8.30 am at IG stadium in Delhi. Those in Delhi should join the run.
- It is an opportunity for the medical profession to get involved in FIT INDIA movement. Charity begins at home, unless we show we are fit, the public will not participate in this.