The Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan (PMSMA) crossed one crore mark in antenatal check-ups, according to a Ministry of Health & Family Welfare (MoHFW) Press release dated January 19, 2018. Out of these one crore checkups across the country, more than 25 lakh check-ups were conducted in high priority districts identified by the Health Ministry for focused attention.
PMSMA was launched last year with the aim to reduce maternal and infant mortality rates by providing comprehensive and quality antenatal care, free of cost, universally to all pregnant women on the 9th of every month leading to safe pregnancies and safe deliveries.
The medical profession has been fully supportive of this initiative of the Health Ministry since it was announced and all doctors are committed to participating in antenatal care and providing voluntary services on the 9th of every month.
To ensure success of this program, IMA launched a special campaign 9/9/9/9/9 last year; these numbers stand for:
- 9th of every month,
- 9 parameters for 9 months,
- Choose a pediatrician at the start of the 9th month, and
- No sex determination to be done till the end of the 9th month.
Zero tolerance for female sex determination is an established IMA policy.
The nine parameters, which should be taken care of include:
- Blood tests (including hemoglobin, syphilis, HIV status of spouse)
- Look for high risk pregnancy (hypertension, gestational diabetes, fetal movements, abnormal bleeding, warning signals ‘anything unusual, unexplained and occurring for the first time’)
- Institutional delivery
We hope that more and more doctors volunteer to participate in this program.
Dr KK Aggarwal
Padma Shri Awardee Vice President CMAAO Group Editor-in-chief IJCP Publications
President Heart Care Foundation of India
Immediate Past National President IMA
Dr Ravi Wankhedkar
National President IMA